8.19.2009

The Joy of Cooking

It is late. I should be in bed. I was dragging all morning from being up super late last night, yet here I am again, another lesson NOT learned. But tonight, my insomnolence is at least productive.
I just got home from seeing a movie with Chel, Becca (Chel's girlfriend), my dad and Curt. We walked out of The Time Travelers Wife, (it was HORRIBLE! I could have done a better job acting [and I got a mere B in Ms. Davis' 8th grade drama class]), and walked into Julie & Julia.
So I've NEVER liked to cook. I feel like it is such a waste of time. I mean, food is food. Why spend HOURS in the kitchen making something just to fill my tummy with something wonderful and delicious when a 30 second prep time bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats does the same thing?- wonderful AND delicious. I know I know... regrettably, Dave doesn't agree either.
I am a complex person, but when it comes to food I'm rather simple. My favorite food is cereal and I love PB&J. I could eat both everyday for the rest of my life and still not get sick of either.
So back to the question: why cook? I probably would be more inclined to cook for my family if they ate Ramen and Mac and Cheese every night, but they don't. You see, Dave LOVES to cook. It is his passion. He loves new recipes, obscure ingredients, and edible chemistry. Along with that sort of passion comes a bit of fastidiousness. So there's my excuse and the reason my family gets good, healthy home-cooked meals.
However, I was inspired by the stories and talents of Julia Childs and Julie Powell in the movie tonight and now I want to cook. I think I've been missing something in my boring day-to-day 'meals.' All the food in the movie looked AMAZING and the thing is, J&J loved creating all of it! Do I have it in me? ****I hope Dave doesn't read this post**** I actually have a desire to cook!

But, it's late and I'll probably wake up in the morning, pour myself a nice bowl of wonderful and delicious cereal, and this inkling will be a thing of the past.

9 comments:

Becca Jo said...

I loved the movie! But I also love to cook. ;)

Alicia said...

You are hilarious. I'm dying to this movie. {I'm already salivating... Is that weird?};.

Alicia said...

Excuse the punctuation at the end of my comment... Jake was helping.

Trace said...

I am late to loving cooking too, but now I LOVE IT! I always hated the mess it made, but I just have learned to put my OCD on hold while I work. I won't tell Dave if you don't tell Mike that I love cooking too. I still act put out even though I love slaving over a good meal.

Unknown said...

The only real way to see if you have it in you is to cook every single recipe in Julia Child's cook book and blog about it.

You only have 365 days, and 549 recipes!

C'mon! Lucrative book and movie deals await!

Kat said...

I loved the movie! I wanted to by the cook book, but after perusing it at Target, I realized french food is gross. But, the cook book looked really cute so I may purchase it after all.

Scarlett said...

Ok, can I say ditto to EVERYTHING you said? Seriously, I am exactly the same way! The thought of spending several hours in the kitchen makes me sick. I have 50 million other things I could be doing. Hamburger Helper is my best friend. I also went with a bunch of ladies in my ward to see Julie and Julia. Funny thing is, we were going to see The Time Travelers Wife, and heard it was too depressing, so we saw Julie and Julia instead. Man, am I glad. I thought the movie was really cute, and it also has inspired me to want to cook more. But we saw it on Monday, and unless making french toast is considered gourmet, I haven't cooked anything, yet. My poor family. We are packing right now to move. Is that a good enough excuse?

(Sorry this turned out to be a long comment!)

Kristen said...

You used some serious vocab. in this post. I know, don't shoot me, I did not love Julie/Julia movie. I was only more inspired to continue on with the processed crappy food that my family currently exists on. Plus I could not handle Julia Child's husband. I think he was a part of the mafia or something. LOL! But I can see the draw in setting a goal, blogging about it, and accomplishing it. I'm proud of Julie for doing that. As for Julia Childs... I'm still trying to get her voice out of my head!

Middle Age Moments said...

I grew up in the days of Julia Child and I loved her! and her voice I might add. (That was for you Kristen! JK) My gripe with cooking is that you spend hours sometimes, preparing meals, huge mess, and it's gone in a matter of minutes! My familly loves it when I cook so I'll keep trying, at least a couple times a week. Sorry I passed the hate of it all on to you. Plus, I would get less tired running lots of miles than standing in one place for hours cooking. YUCK!