9.11.2008

Thoughts on...

Residency!
If I've appeared to be even more of a single mom lately, it's because Dave has spent countless hours (on top of his already school filled agenda) working on his residency application. It has been quite the process. I thought the medical school application process was bad (and believe me, it WAS) and this is a close 2nd.
It amazes me how much time and effort Dave CONSTANTLY puts into his education.
Not only is he learning about things that are super complicated and challenging and trying to find a way to absorb as much as he can and understand it all and why and how it all happens (whew!), but that's just part of it. Time-managment and organization are also a HUGE part of it. I don't know how he keeps it all straight. It seems like he is always having to meet with so-and-so here, sign some paperwork there, submit this for that, or pick-up that for this. During all that, he had to put together an application including letters of recomendation and a personal statement (ugh!). Following? The funny thing is, he doesn't have any modern way of keeping it all together. He just crams it all in his brain, and what doesn't fit, he writes on his hand... and we wonder why our kids think it's fine to draw on their skin...
Anyway, being 4th year, and with his res. application done and submitted... YEPEE!... things will start settling down here pretty soon. He is taking 2 weeks off in October and he'll have all of Nov. and Dec. off!! He is taking the time off to interview. That means LOTS of vacations (hopefully I'll be able to join him for a few) and LOTS of down time.
He has already been invited to 2 interviews; one in Alabama and the other in Michigan.
We won't find out where he's going to do his residency until March (another waiting game). Basically, we could be ANYWHERE a year from now. He applied to 32 programs with only one being in Utah. So chances are we'll be somewhere else. In a way, I'd love to get outta here and live somewhere else. Experience something new and embark on a new adventure: sounds fun and exciting. But I'd also love to stay here and be close to friends & family and still be able to work in a salon. For those of you who are also hair stylists, you know it's not realistic to go to a new city with a family and expect to work in a salon and make money right away. It took about 4 years for me to build a good, stable clientelle (and I didn't have kids yet, so I could work around any prospective client's schedule). So ya, my career would be done. That would be hard, I love my job and all my fabulous clients! But I have to put things into perspective. Yes, I LOVE doing hair, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE being a mom and wife soooo much more. That is my calling in life and I am completely content with that. So if we are to move, bring it on! As they say, the only constant in life is change.
So here's to the beginning of our next phase in life...

8 comments:

Brittany & Garrett Best said...

That is so exciting & terrifying at the same time. I hope he gets to go where he wants to go the most. Good luck with the whole process!!

Jenn and Brandon said...

I am so excited for you guys. . .but I'm really praying for you to stay here. I don't want to end up with some crazy neighbors and some wacky hair stylist.

Jen said...

Any chance of landing somewhere near San Diego?? I'm just glad to hear that I might not be the only one who moved out of the state! No worries though, it really is a good experience living elsewhere -- we wouldn't trade our time here for anything! Good luck Dave!!

Brandt & Kriste said...

Change is always good! We will all be waiting to hear where the Lamborns will be heading. Exciting and sad at the same time. You have always been so positive through this whole school adventure. You are a great person. It was fun visiting with your cute family last night. We need to do it more often!

J.E. said...

How exciting! I always wanted to do that. Before I was married I had these thoughts of moving to another city and state, embarking on whatever the new area could bring. . . You have a really good attitude about it! It sounds like Dave has been a busy guy, hang in there. It can only improve right?

the bates motel said...

how exciting for you guys! i know scary and crazy at the same time. but fun to think of a new adventure in your lives. it will be fun to hear where you guys end up. and how awesome that he'll be around a bit more thru the holidays n stuff. and on the hair bit, you are super friendly and outgoing and if you were to move people would so come to you and you could just do it out of your house! (i know it's not quite the same). but you still have that to get your girly chats in. and p.s. are you takin a trip to s.f? how fun! love it there!

Suman Family said...

hey jaime - rachael told me about your blog! your kids are SO adorable! sounds like things are going well for you. we've got a blog too - if you want to check it out. sumanfamily.blogspot.com
i'm glad to be able to catch up with you.

Kat said...

How scary and exciting to move somewhere unknown. I would be so sad to leave my clients too. Good luck and keep us all posted.