7.26.2009

I love my family

I normally don't do these "journal-type" entries, but today I am proud and happy.
My AMAZING and TALENTED Mother came to my ward and did the 'special musical number.' She played a piano medley of Armies of Helamen, I am a Child of God and Come Come Ye Saints. She did the most amazing job! This woman is one with the piano and I am in constant envy (supposedly I was good once, too... dang it!). It is ALWAYS a treat to listen to my mom play. One of my fondest childhood memories is sitting and listening to her play. Whether she was practicing for something, composing or writing something or just playing for fun, I LOVED it. I can still picture me downstairs in my room, sitting on my bed and being mesmerized by her far off (cause she was upstairs on the other side of the house) music.
Today I was proud. I was proud to show off my mom and show off her talent. So many people came up to me after sacrament meeting and told me how beautiful her song was and how talented my mom is. It made me happy and it made me proud.
After, we headed to my parents ward where my also AMAZING and TALENTED Dad and Brother (Curtis) sang for their ward's 'special musical number.' It was Awesome! They sang Be Still, My Soul. CHILLS!!! It was great for a couple reasons. First of all, it sounded amazing. Their voices blended so beautifully and it was a super powerful song. But moreso, it was so awesome to see my dad and Curtis up there together. It's hard for me to explain, it was just cool. It made me proud.
Singing around the piano (yes, we were one of those families) is also a favorite memory. We still do it EVERY chance we get. I can't think of a time when we're all in town together that we don't sing around the piano (Christmas is the BEST). My mom has written a bunch of songs (some appropriate and some not so much) and those are our favorites to sing. Call us nerdy, and we'll beg to differ, but music has been a binding influence in my family. I think it is something that we all have in common and share. It's not uncommon to hear my parents bust out some cheesy song they sang together in Highschool madrigals and that tells me everything is and will be okay. We sing, not to sound good or to impress, but we sing to make ourselves happy and feel better. We sing a lot and it's fun... and funny.
What an AMAZING family I have been blessed with. I was born into an incredible family who genuinely loves and supports one another in anything and everything, despite our differences. And I have been blessed to have an incredible little family of my own, who I love and adore more than anything else (and who, BTW, can't carry a tune... none of them).
I love my family.

10 comments:

Kjirsten said...

Your mom did do an AMAZING job. I was so happy that I was there to hear that beautiful musical number. If there is any talent that I could pick to have and be perfect at, it would be to play the piano that well. It is my favorite instrument. Thank you for allowing us to share in your mother's talent. I only wish I could have gone to hear your dad and brother. I LOVE that song!

Unknown said...

Your mom did such a great job! I loved that medley. Could you get me the name/composer so I can get a copy? I was so glad I was able to be there today to hear it :)

Amber Burt said...

I have great memories of your families musical abilities as well! I love your family and am glad that you shared this post!

Rachel Lovato said...

I have to agree! I also think that your family is amazing! Your parents will always hold a special place in my heart! Your dad could always make me smile...I sure miss seeing them!

Gonzalez Family said...

That is so cool that your mom has such musical abilities.

Kristen said...

I have always had stong aspirations to be like your mom on the piano...Which is why I spent hours cleaning your house while you looked on. What did you do to develop your talent? LOL! I love your family! You should be proud. They are all amazing people - My 2nd family!

Middle Age Moments said...

You are all so kind. I love to play the piano whenever given the chance. And Kristen, you did one heck of a cleaning job. And yo play great as well! Jami was a great player. We had to pull her out of lessons when she got so sick. Sorry Jame, we should have started you again. Oh well, another mom regret. PS the music came from hymn arrangements by Glen Hatch with a few variations.

Middle Age Moments said...

Nmae these tunes....Why did you act like you loved me?" and
"I love my mother so very much."

Suzanne G said...

Your mom blew me away. It was such a special treat to have her share her talents with our ward.

On the "Child of God" part Samantha started singing the words quietly...music brings such joy!

Thank you!

kristi and family said...

you are so cute Jami and i am so sad i missed the beach...