11.26.2008

I'm old

This is the first birthday I've had where I've felt 'Different.' I turned the big 30 on Saturday and I feel old. Well, maybe I don't feel old, I guess I feel like I should feel old cause I am old. I actually feel quite young. But remember when you were in Elementary School and 30 was so old?! I'm now that person that the young ones look at and think, "she's old." Funny how the older you get, the higher the age gets when a person is considered old.
Dave had a few interviews back east so I decided to join him in New York for a few days. I wasn't going to bring in my 30's at home while Dave was living it up in the BIG APPLE...
We had the greatest time together. It was so nice having that time to be together with absolutely no obligations or interuptions. Times like that are way too few and far between.
Dave had never been to New York so we did lots of the touristy stuff, but the best part was seeing "WICKED." It was amazing! First of all, there is nothing like seeing a Broadway show ON Broadway. Plus, "Wicked" is such a cute story (especially for all us "Wizard of Oz" fans) and it has the GREATEST music. I would recommend it to anyone, male and female, old (like me) and young.
A trip to NYC isn't complete without a meal and the most AMAZING & FAMOUS cheesecake @ Juniors... plus, where else do they bring out pickles, pickled beets and cole slaw instead of your everyday bread or chips?

No, this is not a diaper. It is my beautifully wrapped birthday gift from Dave. Inside this creative package is an... iPod. I think I was the only person on the planet who didn't own one. Now all that has changed and I feel apart... and I like it.

Atop the Empire State Building. The visibility was about 25 miles. It was such a beautiful, clear, sunny and FREAKIN FREEZING day. I think the temp that day was 22 degrees. But with the wind chill mixed with the humidity it felt like -500 degrees.

Some of the views from the top, 86 floors to be exact.

More pics of us. First, in the Gershwin theater waiting for "Wicked" to start and then at 'Serendipity 3' after our YUMMY dinner including the famous 'Frrrrozen Hot Chocolate.'

Times Square. Doesn't Dave look like a city man? Not really. But he might have to become one if we end up there. The next picture is of our Hotel in Times Square. It was SWEET!
There are just some things you don't see everyday in Utah. SWEET 'breakers' in the subway station; Ground Zero; my cousin Emily in all her high-waisted glory; Emily in her High School Musical glory (@ Century 21: "New Yorks Greatest Shopping Secret"); Emily, my Aunt Janet and me waiting to board the Subway and me, again, with a bronze statue that Dave and I thought was one of those real people performers who act like statues.
It's good to be home yet I'm sad my trip is over. It's always bitter-sweet, right?
Thanks NY Nelsons for taking us in for a few nights. It is always great to spend time with you since it doesn't happen near enough.
And special thanks to Emily for being my date to TWILIGHT (since Dave was at his interview, and I sure am glad he was... he would have HATED it). What about that movie anyway? And thanks to my Mom and to Leesa for watching my little munchins while we were gone. I am suddenly feeling like this is like some sort of acceptance speech...
So that's my BIG BIRTHDAY & VAY-CAY in a nutshell.
*Interview Update: Dave interviewed @ Yale, Penn State and Cornell during this trip. They all went well, but Cornell was his FAVE. I'll give a FULL update on how the entire process is going at a later date.

7 comments:

Trace said...

I LOVE JUNIORS!!!!

jennie said...

Happy Birthday Jami! How fun to spend it in New York! Isn't Wicked the best- I loved that show.

Jenn and Brandon said...

Happy Birthday Jami! I wish I had spent my birthday in NYC. That sounds so fun! I am so jealous you went to Wicked! But you guys can't move there...sorry. You have to stay in Country View.Ü

Rachel Lovato said...

Hey girl! Happy Belated Birthday! I was thinking of you on your day. Okay, now I am the only person left in the world without an I-POD! He he he! Congrats! Love ya!

kristi and family said...

your trip looks awesome... i totally want to go to new york...

Unknown said...

Sounds like one radical sabbatical! Happy b-day!

the bates motel said...

hieee! welcome to the 30 club! i'd like to say it's awesome, but i really like how much 29 sounds so young still! anyway, looks like you had a bunch o fun!