6.14.2008

Welcome Home!


After 2 long (yet suprisingly fast) years of serving a wonderful and successful LDS mission, our AWESOME brother and uncle is finally home. He arrived home on June 11th from Joao Pessoa, Brazil. We all met him at the airport and it was quite the reunion. Nils was amazed at Curtis, he grew up a ton while Nils was gone. He not only grew 11 inches, reaching a whopping 5' 11", but he is now 13 going on 23. No more kid left in Curt (formerly "Curty").

Nils had never met his new niece, Addison. Addi took a liking to her Uncle Nils right away. She just wanted him to hold her, and Nils didn't want to let her go, either. It was cute. He also came home to "FREEZING" 61 degree weather. He's used to the upper 90's with high humidity- YUCK!
Nils came home to a new house, as my parents moved the weekend after he left 2 years ago. He liked the house, but was blown away. He's been living in dirt and cement huts for 2 years. The first thing he wanted to do after walking in the house was take off his shoes and feel carpet on his feet. The second thing he wanted was a head massage. I guess he was tempted to ask his companion for one a few times on the mish, but decided it would be too weird and decided he wasn't that desperate.

After the tour of the house, Nils sat us all down and gave us gifts from Brazil. Below is a pic of Addi with the dress Nils brought her. Anyway, as he was doing so, Curt was sitting by his suitcase and jumped back 10 feet suddenly. Nils brought home a dead cockroach. NASTY! Since Dave wasn't able to be there thanks to a big test, Nils wrapped up the 6 legger and gave it to Dave when he got to my parents. It was Hilarious! Dave is such a wuss when it comes to "6 or 8 leggers."
After Nils was released that night, we had a bunch of friends and family over. It was especially fun to see Nils back together with his friends. It was quite the day. The poor kids were so tired at the end of the night, but it was well worth it.

All I can say is I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited to have Nils home. I love him so much and am so proud of him and the work he's been doing.

As Chel wrote in her blog, time is a funny thing. It is something we can never get back. Nils has used the last 2 years to help other people change their lives for the better and also improve himself. He was amazing before, but amazing doesn't even begin to describe him now. I admire Nils so much and what he has done with the last 2 years. This experience has been an eye-opener for me. I hope that I will use the time I am given to do good and improve myself.

WELCOME HOME NILS!!!

6 comments:

Jen said...

Congrats Nils!! Crazy that he is already home. I especially like Dave's gift . . . we laughed at that.

Trace said...

That is so exciting for your family! It's great to see how much they've grown, (but more importantly that they've kept their sense of humor.)Congrats to everyone. What an exciting time for you all!

Over The Tipsy Top Design said...

Girlee your blog is darling. I'm glad you love your cup, thanks for leaving comments, we love them. love ya

Alicia said...

I am way, way behind on the blogging world, and you have been busy, I see. Fun times. My little bro went out in January and I am already looking forward to him coming home.
Your kids are adorable. You are freakin' HOTT. Life is good, right?

Unknown said...

Wait...did he serve a 4-day mission?
That seems unbelievably fast.

Amber Burt said...

I cannot believe he is home! I thought he was still in high school-ha ha!!!