1.15.2009

Interview Update

The interviewing process is FINALLY coming to a close and, to put it bluntly, I couldn't be more thrilled.
It has been quite the process. The last 2 months it seems Dave has been gone more than he's been home. Some trips have been over-nighters (like the one he is currently on), and some have been over a week long!
He is in Spokane, WA right now and thanks to Jury Duty, this could be his last trip. WOO HOO!!!! He was supposed to go to AZ at the beginning of next week, but the dreaded (or not) jury summons came. Let's face it, Dave has covered his bases a few times over, and since the programs in AZ aren't at the top of his list (sorry Rach), this jury duty thing could be saving us $500+.

Anyway, so here is the the UNREVISED top 5:

1. U of U
2. Dartmouth
3. Harvard
4. Mayo
5. Michigan


Like I said, it is unrevised. For example, it might be impossible to afford to live in Boston for 4 years for our little family. We need to do our research.
If it were completely up to me, this is what I'd want to do:
So the Anesthesiology residency has what they call a 'transitional year'. That basically means you can do the 1st year somewhere different than the next, and last 3 years. So I would choose to do the transitional year here and the next 3 at Dartmouth. I love the thought of living in New Hampshire. I have only been there once, but it was beautiful and Dave said the city we'd live in is small & quaint. I've always been a big-city gal, but the older I get the nicer a small city sounds, especially for only 3 years. We definitely want to end up back here in Utah when all is said and done, so I feel like this is our chance to branch out for a while. Plus, it will give all of you a GREAT vacationing spot.
Dave & I have a lot to figure out. His ranking needs to be in by the 15th of Feb (O good- I just figured out our VALENTINES plans! heehee). It is out of our hands at that point, so we'll hope and pray we go somewhere good. We find out our fate around the 15th of March.
I'll keep you all posted.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a little disappointed Dave isn't considering that school on Mars. I mean, the Martians have such incredible anesthesia technology.

They're pulmonary research sucks though, they're not even, like, carbon-based life forms!

(Personally, I'd stay away from Mayo and just stick with Miracle Whip.)

Good luck you rascals! I'm sure it will all turn out.

the bates motel said...

no fun that dave has been gone so much, but it will all come to an end soon! sad about no az, but az isn't my first choice either so i totally understand :)! good luck w/ deciding what to do!

Steve said...

Has Dave thought about SLCC? I was quite impressed with the curriculum and campus. Just a thought...

Unknown said...

I don't like the idea that you are leaving. Ok, not so much you, but your kids!! Which I am missing a lot. Let's get together soon!!!

Jenn and Brandon said...

I'm with Steve. SLCC is super nice and probably really affordable and then you won't have to move at all. We can't lose another good neighbor. Ah! Good luck with your decision. . .but I think the U would be awesome!

J.E. said...

WOW- Those are all really great schools. Dave must be a smarty pants. I think all sound amazing but my pick would be Dartmouth- It's so awesome up there. What an adventurous experience you will have, where ever you go...

Trace said...

Don't dis jury duty-I loved it! We will come visit wherever you go. I am so excited for you to finally have a set plan. Can you believe it has come to this point already?

Chelsea Nelson said...

I love my sister. You're my hero, you know.

Ryan said...

Hi Dave. It's Ryan. You know, Ben's brother the medical malpractice lawyer. I can't wait to sue you. I've just got two words for you: low deductible.