9.16.2011

The last

This is my {hodge-podge} attempt to wrap up our Utah trip.

First of all, Steve, Heather & their kids' UT trip overlapped with ours. My kids were SO HAPPY to spend time with their 'Boston Cousins!' They went SWIMMING, MINIATURE GOLFING and HIKED Timpanogos Cave together. I unfortunately got the dang stomach flu and was flat in bed for 2 days, so I couldn't do any of it with them. BUMMER SUMMER! We did have a Pioneer Day BBQ that I was there for. I'm bummed I didn't get any pictures of this, but we made homemade ice cream (the kind you throw around in a bag). The bags kept breaking and it turned into something pretty comical- but the salvageable ice cream was SUPER YUMMY and the kids LOVED making it!

Here we are watching "UP" before Grandpa Ron took everyone to the UP house. I couldn't get anyone to look away from the TV.  Except for Tol, I guess.

Another big part of the trip for me was WORKING. I wasn't going to work this trip for a couple reasons. First, I didn't renew my business license and second, I didn't really want to work. BUT- I figured I'd have to do my families' hair and perhaps some friends so in the end I did work, kind of.  I only did a few friends and family and only a few of my old clients- who were so great to see! Kristen was VERY kind and gracious and let me work in her basement salon. I don't think she realized what she was getting herself into when she offered, or agreed or whatever. My kids were there more than half the time and over-all it was kind of a mad house. But I LOVED it! I was able to hang out with Kristen all day for, like, 4 days. She would come down and hang out while I was doing hair and I'd go upstairs and chill between clients or when clients were processing. Man, I love that girl! I am so lucky to have found a friend like her. There is no one in the world like her and I am one extremely fortunate girl to have her as my BFF!!

My kids also went on a hike up to Donut Falls with the fam. It was a day where I was still sick so I didn't go. Sad for me. This hike/walk has turned into a Nelson tradition so it was a bummer that I had to miss out.

My CUTEST brothers! This is on their way to the lake to take Tol Kayaking. Again, wish I would have gotten some pics of them out there. Instead, Addi and I had some "GIRL TIME" and went school shopping at OOPSIE DAISY (man I miss that store) and got gelato next door. Perfect day for all!

 Another MAJOR highlight was the one and only SWEET TOOTH FAIRY.
I love that bakery a little too much.

JOB UPDATE: Dave decided to turn this trip into a bit of a business trip, as well. He met with a few anesthesia groups to check things out and to get his foot in the door. I have to be honest and say I was disappointed/deflated about the whole 'getting a job in Utah' situation. As a UT anesthesiologist put it so perfectly. "Utah is a crappy place to get a job, but a great place to have a job." It's actually nothing we didn't already know, it's just that this experience made it real for me. With all that said, Utah might not be on our cards for a while, and that's okay. I'm accepting it.
Anyway...

Chel & Becca flew out the same day as us. Here is Chel with the kids as we were all getting ready to leave. Such a bittersweet day. I was feeling anxious to get home since we had been gone for 4 weeks, but it was so sad to leave!

What a fun trip! Can't wait to go back!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I've never had sweet tooth fairy! I always have a goal to go when I visit UT but it never happens...

Love how you are so close with all your siblings! I hope my kids will have that.