7.13.2011

Tol's PENSKE

Dave and I are total suckers and rented Tolman his VERY OWN PENSKE moving truck for a day.
The story is: Tolman's school had a fundraiser where the grand prize (for selling 25 items or more) was a pizza party in a HUMMER limo. You can imagine Tol's excitement about this whole thing. With a lot of support, from mostly grandparents, Tol earned the GRAND PRIZE! Well, the day of the party came and I sent an ecstatic Tol to his usual afternoon kindergarten only to find out the party happened in the morning that day. Tol was devastated! and so was I. I felt horrible!! 
When I asked him what I could do to make it up to him (even though it wasn't entirely my fault- the school should have made the TIME clear), he said he wanted a U Haul. Somehow that turned into a  PENSKE. PLUS, he insisted on the 26 footer over the 19 footer, which would have been cheaper, because he wanted an International and not a GMC. Like I said, we're total suckers.
Since Dave was working, I had to pick it up AND drop it off the next day. And I gave a few rides around the neighborhood (with a cab-full of little bodies) in between clients (I was doing hair most of the day). That thing was a BEAST to drive. All I kept thinking was "how in the world did Dave drive one of these things with an attached trailer from Utah to Minnesota?!!" I would rather have walked.
Anyway, that night while Addi was at a pajama party, the boys and I took the truck to Nupa's for dinner! I guess I have some pride issues because it was pretty embarrassing. There was nowhere to park the beast AND we ran into our stake's Sister missionaries. But O-well, Tolman LOVED it and it made for a good story. 
I got a lot of phone calls and knocks on the door that day from people who thought we were moving. No one could believe that it was ALL Tol's- that he would actually want that over anything else in the world. I know, I can't believe it either.

Picnic in the Penske!
Tol's Penske was a HIT with the neighborhood kids!

It was a sad moment when we had to say goodbye. Tol has decided that he is going to earn this once a year (after asking if we could do it every month).

Man this kid LOVES cars! and trucks.

7 comments:

Gentry said...

Oh my gosh Jam, that is hilarious!! What an awesome mom you are, and it looks like it made his day!! :)

Rachel Lovato said...

That is such a funny story! What a darling kid!

Michelle said...

That might be the sweetest thing I have ever heard!! You guys are awesome.

Kelly E. said...

That is AWESOME! Will had so much fun with him when you guys were here! Miss you!

Jodi said...

This made me laugh. I can just picture you driving the truck around with a bunch of kids. Hilarious! PS Have you been watching BB this summer?

Chelsea Nelson said...

Haha! Love this story! You're an incredible mama! And sister.

Middle Age Moments said...

I know you told me about this, but seeing it! I'm laughing my head off trying not to wake dad up! I have the most awesome g-kids and an awesome daughter who would do such a thing!?!